Xylitol (5/10)

List item

Source

Xylitol is a popular alternative to sugar, it’s an artificial sweetener that is found in baked goods and sugarless gum.

Hills state that Ingestion can cause a life-threatening drop in your dog’s blood sugar, as well as liver damage. Symptoms include vomiting, seizures and loss of coordination, which can occur anywhere from a few minutes to several hours after ingestion. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, a 10-pound dog would only need to eat a single piece of sugar-free gum to reach a potentially toxic dose. Dogs that ingest large amounts of xylitol can also develop liver failure. 

If you suspect that your dog has consumed anything that might contain Xylitol it is important that you contact your vet immediately.